What is the best side dish recipe to accompany your main dish? When
But, if you are looking for something fresher and lighter, potatoes are not an option. Luckily, the side dish recipe below is nutritious, healthy, and light, and with it no one will be left out on the deliciousness.
Health Benefits of Cauliflower
In addition to consuming cruciferous veggies like cabbage and broccoli, cauliflower can be a great addition to anyone`s diet.
It has been scientifically proven that cauliflower can improve overall health, in combination with other healthy habits and physical activity.
- Contains nutrients like vitamins C, K, B6, folate, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, and manganese
- Packed with fiber
- An excellent source of antioxidants (it’s especially high in anti-cancer glucosinolates)
- High in choline
- Rich in sulforaphane
Countless studies have proven that cauliflower can have anti-cancer effects on the body. This is mostly due to the fact that cauliflower is packed with glucosinolates and isothiocyanates, types of antioxidants.
In studies done between 2004 and 2014, it was found that cruciferous veggies are capable of slowing down the growth of cancer cells, in both human and lab tests.
How to Make Balsamic and Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan
- 8 cups cauliflower florets (one-inch slices)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
If you want something richer than plain nutritional yeast, take ¾ cup raw cashews, 3 tablespoons, nutritional yeast, ¾ teaspoon sea salt, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, and mix them all in a food processor until fine. Add a half-cup of this richer mixture into your recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- Put the cauliflower florets in a mixing bowl and toss with coconut oil, pepper, salt, and marjoram,
- When coated, spread the florets on baking sheet and roast 15-20 minutes or until softened and browned
- Remove from the oven and cover the cauliflower evenly in balsamic vinegar, nutritional yeast, and parmesan cheese
- Put cauliflower back into the oven until the nutritional yeast melts and excess moisture evaporates
Nutritional information per serving:
152 calories; 10 g fat(3 g sat); 3 g fiber; 10 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 90 mcg folate; 7 mg cholesterol; 5 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 99 IU vitamin A; 75 mg vitamin C; 1 mg iron; 519 mg potassium; 163 mg calcium; 362 mg sodium;