Sinusitis, known as infection of the sinuses, affects around 37 million Americans annually. This means that in one year alone, one in ten Americans will suffer from at least on instance of sinusitis.
Pharmaceutical sinus medications are the first thing people reach for, but these come along with various side effects which can make you feel even worse. Luckily, there is a natural treatment available; a simple and effective trick that you can do in the comfort of your home.
What Is A Sinus Infection?
Sinus infection is the inflammation/ swelling of the sinus tissue. When sinuses are healthy they are typically empty and clear, allowing us to breathe in from our nose. But, when sinuses become filled with fluid, it promotes bacterial growth and eventually
Types of sinusitis:
- Acute sinusitis: Cold-like symptoms which goes away in two to four weeks
- Subacute sinusitis: Inflammation of the sinuses which can last for up to two months
- Chronic sinusitis: Inflammation of the sinuses which lasts more than two months
- Recurrent sinusitis: Several sinus infection attacks annually
Some of the symptoms which usually accompany a sinus infection include:
- Nasal swelling
- Bad breath
- Facial pain/pressure
- Dental pain
- Nasal discharge
- Loss of sense of smell
- Cough and congestion
Side Effects of Sinus Medication
Most sinus medications provide temporary relief from a sinus infection, but they often cause new symptoms that the person taking it has to deal with. There are many reasons to stay away from them. Here are some of the symptoms caused by typical sinus medication:
- Upset stomach
- Allergic reaction
- Mood swings
- Trouble sleeping
- Irregular heartbeat
Apple Cider Vinegar For Sinus Infections
Apple cider vinegar is a great remedy for sinus infections. The benefits of this nutritious ingredient include clearing sinus cavities and reducing symptoms. Its nutrients also boost immunity and help the body fight off the infection.
In brief, ACV`s anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and immunity supporting properties make it a great remedy to treat a sinus infection. Here is how to use if for this purpose:
- Mix half a cup of apple cider vinegar with half a cup of water
- Pour in a saucepan and put on the stove on high heat until it begins to steam
- Turn off the heat and inhale the steam for a few minutes with the eyes and mouth closed
- Repeat regularly