According to the Journal of the American Chemical Society, turmeric contains a wide range of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial, anticarcinogenic, and antimutagenic properties.
This miraculous spice is also packed with nutrients like iron, zinc, sodium, protein, dietary fiber, niacin, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, potassium, calcium, copper, and magnesium. Due to these factors, turmeric is used to treat a wide plethora of health issues. Here are its top 10 benefits:
- Prevents cancer
It has been scientifically proven that the active components in turmeric make it one of the best protectors against radiation-induced tumors.
- Treats arthritis
Due to its potent anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric is great for treating both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Controls diabetes
Turmeric is effective in helping reduce insulin resistance, which helps prevent the onset of Type-2 diabetes.
- Reduces cholesterol levels
It has been scientifically proven that simply using turmeric as a food seasoning can reduce serum cholesterol levels.
- Boosts immunity
Turmeric contains lipopolysaccharide, a substance known to stimulate the body’s immune system.
- Heals Wounds
Due to its antiseptic and antibacterial properties, turmeric serves as an effective disinfectant. If you have a burn or cut, sprinkle turmeric powder to accelerate the healing process.
- Weight management
Turmeric contains a component which helps increase the flow of bile, an important component in the breakdown of dietary fat.
- Prevents Alzheimer`s disease
Turmeric promotes brain health by aiding in the elimination of plaque build-up in the brain and improving the flow of oxygen, which in turn prevents or slows down the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Improves digestion
Multiple components in turmeric stimulate bile production, which in turn improves digestion and reduces symptoms of bloating and gas.
- Prevents liver disease
Turmeric is a kind of natural liver detoxifier. Additionally, it improves blood circulation, a factor which supports good liver health.
7 Different Ways To Use Turmeric On A Daily Basis
- Turmeric Juice Shot (juice ½ inch turmeric root or 1 tsp turmeric powder, ½ lemon, sea salt)
- Turmeric Tea (½ tsp fresh grated turmeric, raw honey to taste. squeeze of lime, dash of black pepper,1 cup hot water)
- Turmeric Soup (4 cups veggie or organic bone broth,1 knuckle grated/chopped turmeric)
- Turmeric Scramble (simply throw some turmeric on your traditional eggs in the morning)
- Golden Milk (mix some warm coconut milk with 1 tsp of turmeric powder. Alternatively, add the following ingredients and simmer for a minute or so: ¼ tsp ginger powder/fresh grated, ¼ tsp vanilla, dash of cardamom, dash of cinnamon, dash of clove, and 2 tsp raw honey)
- Turmeric Smoothie (blend 1 ½ cups frozen pineapple or mango, 2 tbsp coconut flakes, ½ coconut or almond milk, 1 tsp turmeric powder/fresh turmeric, 1 tsp hemp seed hearts, 1 tsp maca root, and a dash of black pepper)
- Turmeric Kefir (simply add a teaspoon turmeric powder to kefir and drink up)