Bloat is defined as abnormal gas swelling or an increase in diameter of the abdominal area. As a result, the patient feels tight abdomen, abdominal pain, and an increased stomach growling/ lack of it.
Before we go into details regarding the key to getting rid of bloating, let`s discuss some of the causes of this problem first.
Even though it can indicate a serious medical condition, it is typically a result of something in the diet. Here are some of the causes:
Lifestyle Habit Causes
- Acid reflux
- Lactose intolerance
- Celiac disease, gluten intolerance
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Types of cancer, e.g. stomach and ovarian
- Crohn’s disease
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
- E coli infection
How to Get Rid of Bloating: The No. 1 Food That Will Actually Help
If we are going to discuss the ways in which you can get rid of bloating, we cannot ignore chia seeds and their importance.
Using Chia Seeds to Prevent a Bloated Belly
Chia seeds have been long used for their health benefits. Due to their high concentration of antioxidants, fiber, calcium, protein and carbohydrates, they can:
- Prevent bloated belly (make sure to pre-soak them first!)
- Promote weight loss
- Raise good cholesterol
- Fight off cell-damaging free radicals
- Help prevent spikes in blood sugar
- Curb appetite and cravings
- Strengthen bones
What makes these tiny seeds so effective at treating bloating is their ability to absorb moisture as well as their high fiber content. This is why soaking them prior use is very important, allowing you to get the most of them and their benefits.
Here’s How to Get Rid of Bloating Naturally with This Chia Seed Shake
1 ounce (or ~2 tablespoons) of chia seeds contains:
- 137 calories
- Calcium, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, and potassium
- Vitamins B1, B2, and B3
- 11 grams of fiber
- 4 grams of protein
- 5 grams of omega-3 fatty acids
- Glass of water
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon organic lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- Soak the chia seeds in a glass of water for at least an hour ( and more, if possible)
- Remove them from the water and add to a blender
- Add the combined tablespoons of lemon juice and honey
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth
- Drink and reap the benefits of this delicious shake!
Needless to say, no one knows your body better than you do! This is why it is important to pay attention to the way your body responds once you start consuming this shake every morning, as some people have responded quite poorly after eating too much chia seeds. Specifically, they felt bloating and discomfort. It is recommended to start adding only a teaspoon of chia seeds and gradually work your way up to three teaspoons per drink.