Childhood memories never fade and this period of your life affects you forever. If it was stressful and abusive, it can be a nightmare.
Emotional abuse leaves scares that most people simply cannot recover from. If often leads to relationship problems and development of different forms of mental illness.
If you, a family member, or a friend is a victim of emotional abuse, don’t hesitate to ask for help or offer help.
Emotional abuse is undoubtedly a horrible burden to carry around. But, most people don’t even realize that it affects every possible aspect of their lives before it becomes too late.
However, although it can be so difficult to deal with this, giving up is not an option!
According to the victims themselves, here are some of the things that adults do when they were emotionally abused as a child.
1. You are dealing with a tremendous amount of anger, which often causes you to attack people verbally, often through social media where people cannot see you.
2. You face difficulties when it comes to finding out who you are and what your beliefs and viewpoints are.
3. You tend to blame yourself for everything that happens!
4. You never fight back and your only way of protecting yourself is by getting distant and cutting people out of your life.
5. You have difficulty communicating your genuine feelings, which can lead to depression and anxiety.
6. You are afraid of making eye contact, so you rarely do it.
7. You find it difficult to accept the fact that there are people who truly love you and care for you and your well-being.
8. You are very hard on yourself! You think that you rent good or smart enough and no matter what you achieve, you will never get rid of the negativity in your head.
9. You hide your bad side from everyone in your surroundings.
10. You are very shy and scared of doing or saying something that will trigger negative reaction.
11. You are paranoid and have trust issues, which causes problems with relationships and attachment.
12. You never ask for help as you believe that something will be asked in return. This is why you have difficulties finding a true friend.
13. You tend to explain in detail virtually everything that you do or say. Also, you have trouble saying no!
14. You try to please anyone who is an authority figure.
15. You believe that love is never pure and unconditional, so you have trouble accepting it.
16. You are very defensive, which makes you come off as cynical or cold.
17. As already mentioned above, you are hard on yourself and never say something that the other person might disagree with.
18. You are very indecisive as you feel like anything that you do or say will be wrong.
19. You don’t trust anyone. Consequently, you rarely let other people in.
20. You isolate yourself and consider your home as the only safe place.
21. You apologize all the time out of fear that you have done something wrong.
22. Again, you always believe that everything you say or do is wrong.
23. You overachieve trying to prove yourself.
24. You don’t accept compliments as children only talked about your flaws and mistakes.
25. You cannot stand conflict!