Celery is a marshland plant in the family Apiaceae, known for its robust nutritional profile and wide range of health benefits. It contains minerals like magnesium, calcium and potassium as well as vitamins like A, B, C, and K.
It is also packed with phytonutrients, which offer potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which are known to boost immunity, improve intracellular communication, and repair DNA damage caused by toxins. It has been also found the eating phytonutrients on a regular basis helps prevent cancer and heart disease.
Benefits of Celery
- Alkalizes the body and regulates pH levels
- Relaxes the nervous system and promotes better sleep
- Improves vision thanks to its vitamin A content that which protects the cornea and treats dry eyes
- Lowers the risk of gastric ulcers and gastritis
- Improve digestion thanks to its high fiber content that treats constipation and stomach issues
- Weight loss because it is low in calories and high in fiber content
- Acts as an aphrodisiac due to the male pheromones, androstenone, and androstenol it contains
- Regulates cholesterol and blood pressure (The phthalide in celery lowers cholesterol levels by 7 percent and blood pressure by 18 percent)
- Relieves heartburn and acid reflux
- It improves male fertility by boosting the sperm count and increasing the levels of the hormone aldosterone
- Hydration (Celery is 96 percent water, so it keeps the body hydrated during the day)
- Treats urinary infections thanks to its diuretic effects that help the elimination of excess fluids without leading to potassium loss
- Other significant benefits include its ability to improve liver, skin, eye and cognitive health.
Celery is also known as nature’s dental floss,” so make sure you chew it well. This breaks up the fibrous strands that clean the teeth in an all-natural way. Also, heavy chewing stimulates the production of saliva in the mouth, which re-mineralizes the teeth.
Celery is highly versatile, so you can eat it raw, juiced, cooked, or combined with dips and toppings.
Tips on How to Use Celery
- Prepare stewed celery
- Make a celery soup
- Chop it into your salads
- Add it to the stir-fry
- Add it to soups
- Dip celery in various sauces and butters
- Dip celery sticks in hummus
- Combine it with peanut butter
- Dip it in your salad dressings
- Dip celery in cream cheese or yogurt, cheese sauce
- Juice it
- Eat it raw