Every cancer survivor is said to stay positive while recovering. Unfortunately, staying positive is much easier said than done. Positivity is quite easy, theoretically speaking, but going through treatment and dealing with the effects of the disease can make anyone feel depressed.
While a positive attitude isn’t a cure-all, it has been scientifically proven that it can have a great healing effect on the body. Reading inspirational quotes and embracing positivity during the battle with cancer is a critical part of what will help you to keep going and fighting. Here are some quotes that will bring a smile to your face and motivate you to keep pushing ahead in your fight.
- “THERE’S NO HOPE WITHOUT FEAR, NO FEAR WITHOUT HOPE.”– BARUCH SPINOZA
Although fear is always present when facing something serious like cancer, this fear is also always combined with hope.
Fear is rooted in not knowing what will happen in the future. And, the reality is that the future is uncertain!
Although cancer is in your present, it doesn’t mean that it will be in your future as well! Things can and will change for the better.
While fear is almost inescapable when facing something as serious as cancer, this fear is always coupled with hope.
- “COURAGE DOESN’T REQUIRE A LACK OF FEAR. RATHER, COURAGE REQUIRES THE JUDGMENT THAT THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN FEAR.” –AMBROSE REDMOON
Most people believe that being courageous means not being afraid. But this is rarely the case. Being scared is completely normal, just as being courageous is. If you are worried, you can still deal with what scares you with a certain dose of courage.
- “SOME DAYS YOU WON’T FEEL A SONG INSIDE YOUR HEART, BUT SING ANYWAY.” — EMORY AUSTIN
Happiness may be very difficult to find when you are a cancer survivor but look for it anyway. Singing, for instance, can be a healing experience. If you don’t sing, find another outlet for your feelings, such as writing, drawing, or painting.
- CANCER AFFECTS EVERYONE, WHETHER YOUR FRIEND, SISTER, MOTHER, DAUGHTER, PATIENT, DOCTOR, OR COWORKER.” –JENNIFER ANISTON
This quote reminds us that everyone is affected by cancer. Fighting this disease can be extremely isolating experience, so it is important to find a community to connect with at this time.
- “STRENGTH IS FOUND WITHIN THE SILENCE OF OUR LONG-SUFFERING HEARTS; IT IS NOT FOUND AMIDST JOY.” –FELICIA HEMANS
Strength is built during difficult times, not amidst joy. It is suffering that shapes us into the strongest version of ourselves.
- THE VALUE OF A MAN ISN’T FOUND IN THE MOST CONVENIENT AND COMFORTABLE MOMENTS. ONE’S VALUE IS FOUND IN WHERE THEY STAND DURING CONTROVERSY AND CHALLENGE.” –REV. DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.
While we enjoy the convenient moments of our lives, the moments that force us to be courageous and strong are those that transform us for the better.
- “CANCER, MAY TAKE AWAY MY PHYSICAL ABILITIES, BUT IT CAN’T TOUCH MY SOUL, IT CAN’T TOUCH MY HEART, AND IT CAN’T TOUCH MY MIND.” –JIM VALVANO
This inspirational quote reminds us that whatever effects this disease has on the body, the heart, mind, and soul are out of its reach!
- “SOMEONE CAN BECOME A VICTIM OR A SURVIVOR AFTER HAVING CANCER. IT’S ALL IN YOUR MINDSET.” –DAVE PELZER
Your mindset can definitely change everything.
- “THOUGH CANCER STARTED THE FIGHT, YOU WILL FINISH IT.” –GOTCANCER.ORG
Although cancer is a fight, you will finish it! Don’t give up and don’t give in.
- “CANCER DIDN’T BRING ME TO MY KNEES, IT BROUGHT ME TO MY FEET.” –MICHAEL DOUGLAS
This is a great quote to remember! You will eventually recover from the physical effects of the disease, but the inner strength you gained throughout the journey will remain a valuable tool.
- “THE HUMAN SOUL AND SPIRIT TO SURVIVE ARE FAR STRONGER THAN ANYTHING ELSE THAT MAY HAPPEN TO THEM.” –C.C. SCOTT
While fighting cancer is terrible and extremely difficult, don’t let it crush your soul. Find the resilience to work to find your inner strength. And remember, you are stronger than anything else!
- “YOU WON’T UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH STRENGTH YOU HAVE UNTIL YOUR ONLY CHOICE IS TO BE STRONG.” –CAYLA MILLS
Needless to say, no one is prepared to get the diagnosis. While it is difficult to get up and fight back, don’t give in. You will make it!
- “WE ONLY HAVE TWO OPTIONS, EMOTIONALLY AND MEDICALLY: FIGHT LIKE HELL OR GIVE UP.” –LANCE ARMSTRONG
While there are various factors involved, patients are generally left with two options: to fight or give up. When faced with the opportunity to give up or fight back, choose to fight like hell!
- IF YOU’VE REACHED THE END OF THE ROPE, START TYING A KNOT AND HOLD ON TIGHT.” –FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT
With something like this terrible disease, it is very difficult to feel overwhelmed and like you have lost control of your life. Whatever your situation at the moment, let this quote remind you to keep hanging on!
- “GAIN COURAGE, CONFIDENCE, AND STRENGTH FROM EACH EXPERIENCE YOU’VE HAD BY STOPPING TO LOOK AT FEAR IN ITS FACE. AT THIS POINT, YOU MUST BE BRAVE ENOUGH TO DO THAT WHICH YOU THOUGHT YOU COULDN’T DO.” –ELEANOR ROOSEVELT
This powerful quote reminds us that we have the power to overcome anything life throws at us. Something as terrible as cancer can leave us feeling insecure and weak, but what we should do is get up and find the courage and strength to come out on top.